Sunday, April 1, 2012

What Asks the Question (Telephone)




What Asks the Question (Telephone)
acrylic on canvas
26 x 28 inches [at the widest points]
© 2012 Darick Ritter


I painted this work, mostly, over Christmas break. But I’ve been sitting on it for this long because I’ve been wondering what to do with it. I always have to fight the urge to overwork, but its triangular format has helped saved me from the usual suffering I undergo by shocking my system with a subtle overlay of content.

It feels like more with less and that seems to please me...

+++

I find it simple, direct and - with the title - to the point. Painting is my technology. Its the medium through which I examine and gain knowledge, not just about myself, but through the perterbation of my work’s effect in others in the world at large.

Though I have made the medium my own, it comes with its own personality within the history of art, which is why I always attempt to stand back with suspician over its capability to affect the beholder.

In the end, though, I believe we all have to acquiesce at some point to the powers that be and I’ve, ultimately, decided to leave it as it is.

But I feel a new series coming on. As we are wont to say: stay tuned...




No comments:

Post a Comment